Vegetarian Fair vs. Namaste India


As written in my previous posting last weekend was the Tokyo International Vegetarian Culture Fair and although rain was pouring heavily all day, I made it there on sunday. However I have to admit I didn't eat anything there. How is that possible you might ask? A veggie foody at a vegetarian fair who doesn't pamper her taste buds? Well, yes and no. I ate, just not at the vegetarian fair.
Just a few meters beside the Vegetarian Culture Fair, that made a rather dull and grey impression and where the foodservings were quite small, there also was a much livelier and more colourful fiesta called Namaste India.
You have three guesses what was served there! Right! Curry, curry aaaaaand curry! I couldn't resist the intensive scents of spices and freshly baked naan breads.
Sorry vegetarians of Tokyo, the Indian chefs upstaged you! Their food was not only smelling nicer, the portions were not only bigger, they were also much more fun and really seemed to enjoy being there - and so did I!
While at the vegetarian fair it was kinda lame, most of the offered food was also curry, that smelled and looked rather bland compared to the Indian originals, and one of the sellers made a not very charming remark about my friend and me after we had a look at his food and decided not to take it, the Indian chefs were joking and performing a percussion show on the tandoori oven AND managed to serve a fine curry! It was loud, with Bollywood soundtracks blaring from the boom boxes and sellers shouting out their offers, it was hot and spicy, with my fingers yellow after eating with them, it was monsoonlike, with the rain pouring and it was a hell of a time!
After having a nice chai (Indian milk tea with spices) to warm up and finishing off a nice mixed vegetable curry and a naan each, we decided to go for another round and checked out the veggie curry of another foodstall, also with naan - and it was even better! They were more generous with the vegetables - I just loved the eggplant chunks inside, and the curry was spicier. The naan was slightly buttered, crisp on the edges and soft inside, so that it was perfect for shoveling the sauce and veggies into the mouth. This is just one of the best comfort foods in the whole wide world..

Maybe I just came to late for the good vegetarian fair food, some stalls were already closing down when I arrived - so maybe I do them wrong. However, all in all Namaste India won my favours!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah - but 100 yen yasaiman dumplings - the only place I've ever seen yasaiman, and so the first time I ever got to eat those kind of steamed buns. If it hadn't been raining I'd have hovered by that stand all day.

Julia said...

wow, now that is something! sounds very good! i guess they were already gone when i was there, haven't seen any yasaiman :(

vegetablej said...

This is the kind of event I would just love to attend if I were anywhere near Tokyo! The Indian fair sounds like too much fun. With my love of Indian curry I would have been in heaven.

I do love lots of Japanese food, but the curry in general is a pale imitation of Indian. I'm sorry but anyone who thinks curry is better if you use a boxed "curry roux" with powdered generic spices and MSG in it rather than the live and exciting mix of spices in real Indian curries is just sadly wrong.

I do understand that Japanese are attached to it as a kind of "comfort" food that Mom used to make them as kids, but that doesn't mean it is a superior product.

I haven't read what the critic said about you, but feel free to know you are right and he is sadly misinformed (at least about J. curry).

:) In solidarity with you and Indian "curry " lovers around the globe,

Vegetablej